Core Web Vitals
Core Web Vitals are a set of key performance metrics that Google uses to measure the quality and user experience of a website.
These metrics are:
- Largest Contentful Paint (LCP): Measures the loading performance of the main content of a page.
- First Input Delay (FID): Measures the interactivity of a page by calculating the time from when a user first interacts with a page (clicks a link, taps on a button, etc.) to the time when the browser can begin processing event handlers in response to that interaction.
- Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS): Measures the visual stability of a page by calculating the sum of all individual layout shift scores for every unexpected layout shift that occurs during the loading of a page.
Importance in SEO
Core Web Vitals are essential for SEO because they are directly tied to user experience, which is a ranking factor for Google.
Websites that provide a fast, responsive, and stable experience are more likely to rank higher in search results, as they offer a better experience to users.
A website with an LCP of 2.5 seconds or less, an FID of less than 100 milliseconds, and a CLS of less than 0.1 is considered to have good Core Web Vitals.
- Optimize images and media files to reduce page load times.
- Minimize the use of third-party scripts and plugins that can slow down page load times.
- Prioritize above-the-fold content to ensure it loads quickly.
- Implement lazy loading for images and iframes to reduce the initial load time.
- Use a content delivery network (CDN) to serve content from a location closer to the user.
- Optimize the critical rendering path to reduce the time it takes for the browser to render the page.
- Overload pages with unnecessary elements that can slow down the page load.
- Neglect to test your website on different devices and browsers to ensure a consistent user experience.
- Fail to monitor and address Core Web Vitals issues, as they can change over time with updates or changes to the website.
- Ignore user feedback or usability testing that could highlight areas for improvement.